Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Awards & Rewards

Each of the three academic years I've been at BC, I've attended the annual Communication Department Honors Dinner. It's a great opportunity to see students I've worked with -- and others -- be recognized for their accomplishments. This year it seemed a particularly high number of award winners were students I had worked with individually at some point in their time here, so I decided to do a quick count.

I offer the results below, partly as self-congratulation (I'm not above that), and partly to reinforce the idea that getting help from the librarian can be part of your success as a comm major. No, I'm not guaranteeing that if you come see me your GPA will go up, but don't be one of those students afraid or embarrassed to ask for help. That's what I'm here for; let me know what I can do for you.


Percentage of Communication Award Winners Who Contacted the Communication Librarian for Individual Help
Dorman Picklesimer Jr. Outstanding Major Awards (Top 25 GPAs)
60% (15/25)

Majors Registered for Honors Classes
63% (26/41)

Communication Department Academic Excellence Awards (recognizing excellence in writing and creative work)
67% (4/6)

Junior Scholar Awards (Students presenting original research at a Communication conference)
73% (8/11)

Majors Graduating with Communication Honors
75% (21/28)

Phi Beta Kappa Communication Majors
86% (12/14)

No comments: